5 Reasons You Should Have a Louvered Pergola Installed This Spring
Dating all the way back to ancient Egypt and perhaps even earlier, pergolas have survived the test of time. They have been used to create shade for terraces and walkways, as the framework to grow vegetation, and as upscale hanging gardens for the affluent social classes. While they have evolved in form and function, pergolas are as beneficial for us today as they were centuries ago.
The use of a pergola is a way to improve a patio or other outdoor living space that is less than an enclosure but more than an open bare space. Pergolas usually consist of columns that support roofing style rafters or beams. They can be attached to a house or other structure or built as a freestanding structure. The amount of shade a louvered pergola provides can be controlled. The rafters can allow bits of sunshine to peek through or the shelter can be closed and shaded completely. The design styles are limitless and can be adapted to accommodate any style of home and climate. The definition of a pergola also extends to retractable shades or awnings that are popularly used to create backyard retreats and spaces for entertaining.
Spring is a great time to reimagine your outdoor living space and redesign it to meet your needs and goals. Here are just a few of the ways in which a pergola can improve your lifestyle.
- They increase your home’s value – A pergola raises the property value of your home by adding attractive living space.
- They are cost effective – The many design options and styles mean that it doesn’t have to break the bank to install a pergola.
- Pergolas create privacy – Even though the design of a pergola is inherently open, you can use your imagination to add dramatic curtains or screens to provide greater privacy in your backyard.
- They can offer the desired amount of shade – Whether you want some sunshine to nourish plants or complete shade for a cooler space to hang out, there is a design option that is just right for any purpose.
- Pergolas require little to no maintenance – The pillars, beams, and stationary or retractable shades are easy to rinse off and can provide many seasons of enjoyment.
Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, Inc., has the expertise to help you choose the right pergola system for your home. Our insured and licensed technicians can perform the expert installation to create your perfect space. Contact us or visit our website today to learn more or to schedule a consultation.
How to Choose the Right Garage Door Company
Garage door problems and failures naturally occur over time, but they should not happen right after you’ve had a new garage door installed. Your garage door should last anywhere from 20 to 30 years with proper care. Issues with the operation of your new garage door indicate that you have chosen the wrong garage door company.
Your garage door was not installed correctly if any of these issues are occuring:
- Damaged springs resulting from poor quality or negligent handling
- Noises like rattling or squeaking due to misalignment or damage done at the time of installation
- The door doesn’t open or close or these operations are delayed.
Like any other industry, garage door companies have been infiltrated by scammers. They are often transitory and downright suspicious when you know what to look for. These are good indications of a scam garage door company:
- The company is new, meaning that it has no history in the community or the surrounding area
- The name is generic and gives no indication of who the owners might be
- There is no physical or permanent address or reliable contact information
- The prices are ridiculously low
- The vehicles and work attire are not professional or do not display the name of the company, or worse, display the wrong company name,
- You can’t trace the history of the company through the BBB or other online sources
- There are no reviews or the reviews sound generic and are not from local residents,
- There is no website or if there is, it is vague and provides no assurance or credibility
- The advertising is excessive or even intrusive.
A reputable local garage door business will present itself entirely differently. The owners and employees will want you to be able to contact them and ask questions. They will provide transparency as to their business practices and examples of past work to assure customers that they are making the right choice.
When you have found the right garage door company, the answers to all of these questions should be yes:
- Do they carry insurance?
- Do they guarantee their work and offer warranties on products?
- Are their technicians experienced and have the proper qualifications?
- Do they have good online reviews and positive feedback from friends, neighbors, and previous customers?
- Do they provide estimates and disclose costs upfront?
- Are they professional, friendly, and honest?
Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, Inc. can answer all these questions to prove that they are the right garage door company for all of your garage and entry door needs. Contact us or visit our website today to learn more or to schedule an appointment.
Benefits of Different Types of Entry Doors
You only get one chance to make a first impression, and the same is true for your home. The entryway and front door can determine if the home looks inviting and friendly as opposed to cold and unnatural. Choices of materials and colors can perfectly complement your home’s style or they can completely distract onlookers from its more attractive elements.
Your entry door can be a very enticing focal point of your house without breaking the bank or being overly ornate. Since entry doors can be made from different materials and offer options like glass panels and sidelights, there’s always a choice that’s perfect for your style and budget.
Let’s take a look at the most common types of entry doors and what they have to offer.
If you are especially concerned about safety, a steel door is an excellent choice because it will be harder to break into. In addition to increased security, steel doors also offer these benefits:
- Energy efficient core insulation
- Double and triple-paned glass units to let in light and to reduce heat transfer
- Resistance to warping, shrinking, and swelling
- Reduction of outside noise
- Customizable options
- Easy maintenance that only involves wiping or rinsing off dirt, an
- More affordable options
The strength and resilience of fiberglass doors mean that you don’t have to use a storm door to protect them. They offer these advantages:
- Easy installation
- Durability and strength against harsh weather and heavy use
- Energy efficiency
- Lightweight construction to reduce wear and tear on hinges and framing
- Simple maintenance
- Secure against break ins
- Versatility of styles and color options
Wood is a naturally beautiful choice that also has the ability to remain unaffected by changes in temperature because it is a poor conductor of heat. Other benefits of wood doors include:
- Aesthetics – wood doors invoke a natural rustic feeling that is pleasing to the eye and the emotions
- Durability – solid wood doors hold up well over time
- Return on investment – a solid wood door can last a long time while retaining its beauty
- Resistant to outside noises
- Fire retardancy
- Styles include different types of woods and finishes
If you would like to explore your options or need door installation services, the professionals at Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, Inc., can recommend a stylish and appropriate entry door for your house style and budget and perform expert and secure installation. Visit our website today for more information or to schedule an appointment.