6 Signs You Need a New Garage Door
As a homeowner, spending money on costly repairs and upgrades to your home with little to no return on your investment is anything but satisfying. One repair that can be made to your home that won’t break the bank, while offering an immediate return on your investment, replacing an overhead door Pittsburgh PA. Not only are garage doors one of the first things that people see when they come to your home, they are also a feature that you use multiple times a day. Because it is such a vital part of your home, it is important that it is in good working condition.
Because garage doors can be a huge investment, you’ll want to make sure that your door can’t be repaired and needs to be replaced. There are a few factors that will indicate that it is time to invest in a new door, some of which include:
- Speed: When you push your garage door button, you should start to notice some sort of movement right away. If your door isn’t responding to your remote as fast as it used to, you might need to look into getting it replaced.
- Noise: Noise is a good indication that either a part needs to be repaired or replaced on your garage door. Don’t just ignore the noise, thinking that it is just part of the garage door. It could potentially be an indication of something serious that needs to be addressed. If your garage door starts to make a lot of noise in the form of grinding, crunching, grating, squeaking, or banging, you’ll want to look into a replacement door.
- Safety and Security: Due to the excessive weight, garage doors can pose a huge safety risk if they come slamming down too fast or unexpectedly. As soon as you notice a potential safety risk, such as your door not shutting all the way, or your sensors not working properly, it is time to get your door replaced. These are all issues that can harm you, your family, or your pets.
- Appearance: The way your garage door looks will have a tremendous impact on the overall curb appeal and value of your home. Over time, doors will go out of style, leaving your home looking older and less stylish. Investing in a new garage door not only improves your home’s curb appeal but can also make your home look more modern and attractive. It is an investment that is money well spent.
- Functionality: Over time, wear and tear will accumulate on your garage door. Dings and dents are inevitable, while debris can build up over time. Garage door springs generally only last around 10,000 cycles before they need to be replaced. Most issues with an older garage door can be repaired, but if you are worried about your garage door not working properly or failing, it might be time to consider investing in a replacement.
- Price: Because garage doors are made up of several parts, you will generally be making a huge investment up front or over time as you continually pay for repairs on an older door. If you find that you are continually forking out money for repairs or breakdowns, you might want to consider investing your money in a new door and not repairs. Maintenance costs for your overhead door Pittsburgh PA should not be a constant expense.
At Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, we have experienced technicians that can diagnose garage door problems and provide you with cost-effective solutions. Whether it is a simple repair job or a complete, new door install, Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors is your Pittsburgh garage door expert!
5 Benefits of Installing Aluminum Awnings on Your Home
For homeowners looking for an affordable way to add some curb appeal or a cut down on direct sunlight, an aluminum awning Pittsburgh may be the way to go. Not only do aluminum awnings provide shade, they also protect siding and windows from rain and debris. While homeowners do have the option of installing aluminum or canvas awnings, aluminum has a few benefits that just can’t be beat!
Because they are made out of aluminum, these awnings are better equipped to withstand the environment. When living in an area prone to high winds, extreme winds, rain, snow, or excessive heat, year after year aluminum awnings will withstand the elements without bowing, warping or stretching. With regular maintenance, aluminum awnings can last 50 years or more.
Cheaper than metal awnings, aluminum awnings provide homeowners with a cost-effective solution for protecting their home. Awnings that are smaller sizes and traditional shapes are even more cost-effective than other options available.
Aluminum awnings are available in a wide range of colors, allowing homeowners the flexibility to choose a color that will match or complement their home’s exterior. Additionally, aluminum awnings come in both traditional and modern styles, allowing homeowners to find a style that complements their home.
4. Low Maintenance
One of the nice features offered by aluminum awnings is that they require little to no maintenance. The only regular maintenance that is required is spraying them off with a hose to remove any dirt buildup from the surface. This will help to keep the awnings looking their best for years to come.
5. Energy Efficient
Aluminum awnings do more than just add curb appeal to a home, they work to cut down on energy consumption. Awnings around a home absorb some of the heat from the sun, which ultimately keeps a home’s interior cooler, and gives the air conditioner a break. Areas of the home that are covered by aluminum awnings can be up to 20% cooler than others.
There are many benefits that aluminum awnings Pittsburgh can offer homeowners. If you interested in adding aluminum awnings to your home, contact the professionals at Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors today!
The 4 Most Common Garage Door Repairs For Homeowners
Many homeowners consider their garage door’s creaking and groaning to all be part of owning a garage door and don’t consider the possibility that it could be an indication of something more serious. If your garage door has visible damage to the panels, is making loud noises, or simply doesn’t open or close, it might be time to hire garage door repair Pittsburgh PA professionals. Here are 4 common garage door repairs to be aware of.
- Broken Garage Door Springs
For manual garage doors, it is easy to notice when your springs are broken, as the door will be difficult to lift and will slam down when trying to close it. For automatic doors, the door won’t open at all. In order for you to manually open your door, you’ll have to disengage the emergency release and operate it manually.
- Misaligned Sensor
Automatic doors are equipped with two laser sensors located at the bottom of your garage door to prevent damage and injuries. If there is an object that disrupts the laser from beaming directly into the other laser, the door will not shut. If these sensors get bumped or become misaligned, the door will not be able to shut, reversing immediately or not operating at all. Sensors can be adjusted and realigned until they are lined up again, allowing the door to operate properly.
- Dead Garage Door Remote
For most, garage door remotes can last for a long time before the batteries need to be replaced. If your remote no longer operates your garage door, try replacing the batteries. If new batteries don’t fix the problem, you may need to replace the entire remote. If remotes get dropped, they are more susceptible to breaking. Try using the wall switch to see if your door will operate to determine if you need to replace your remote or if you have other, more serious problems.
- Door Off Track
If a door gets hit with an object or slams down too hard it is easy for your door to get off track. When this happens, you’ll need to hire professional garage door repair Pittsburgh PA to repair and perform maintenance to the door and track. In most cases, your door will need to be reattached to the rail, which you should not do yourself.
The best way to prevent garage door problems is to perform regular maintenance. At Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, we have experienced technicians who are trained in inspecting and repairing garage doors to ensure that your door continues to work time after time. If you find that your garage door isn’t working or needs maintenance, contact Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors today!