Benefits of Aluminum Awnings for Your Home
There are different types of awnings that have been used for hundreds of years. Fabric awnings date all the way back to ancient Egypt. Did you know that the first retractable awning was discovered during the time of the Roman Empire? Called a velarium, it sheltered the colosseum. In the United States, the first crude awnings began to appear over store windows in the mid-1800s.
While styles have changed, the purpose of awnings has not. They were always meant to shelter buildings, people, and goods for sale from the heat of the sun. Now, people can choose from fixed, retractable, motorized, and portable awnings. There are also choices of materials that include canvas, polyester, cotton, or metal.
The most common choices for metal fixed awnings are copper and aluminum. While copper is considerably more expensive, aluminum awnings present several reasons why they are a practical and sound choice to provide shade and protection for your home.
- They are more affordable than awnings made of copper or other metals.
- They can withstand high winds, rain, snow, and excessive heat without bowing, warping, or stretching.
- Aluminum awnings can last as long as 50 years with proper care.
- You can express your personality, because aluminum awnings can be crafted in a wide range of colors and styles including modern and traditional.
- They can save you money on your energy bills by sheltering your home from the heat of direct sun. The rooms inside a home that are protected by awnings are generally 20 percent cooler than other parts of the house.
- Aluminum awnings require very little care. All that is needed is the occasional brushing or rinsing off of dirt and debris to keep the awnings looking their best.
- They increase your outdoor living space by creating a protected patio and lounging areas.
If you would like to explore awning benefits and the addition of awnings to your home, the experienced professionals at Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, Inc., can recommend the best styles for your home and provide expert installation. Contact us today for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Should I Repair or Replace My Garage Door?
For most people, the largest investment they will make during their lives is the purchase of a home. It can be difficult to know when putting money into the place will produce a high enough return on the investment to be worth it. Garage doors fall into that category. If you are trying to decide if you want to replace your door or if repairs would be sufficient, keep reading for some information that might help you find your way.
These are some indications that your garage door only needs to be repaired:
- It is making noises – A garage door shouldn’t be overly noisy. Rattling or other noises could be signs of loose hinges or torsion springs, which can be replaced.
- The safety sensors aren’t working properly – If they are blocked or damaged, the door may not open and close properly.
- The door is off balance or out of square – A weakened motor or worn cables can cause the door to close unevenly.
- There is only one damaged panel – One panel can be replaced without the need to replace the entire door.
- The problem just started or has only occurred a few times – New problems are worth looking into and could be easy to fix.
Sometimes a little garage door maintenance can go a long way toward resolving an issue that could grow worse over time.
More serious issues can be used to determine that a new garage door is needed including:
- You consistently have to pay to make repairs to the door.
- The door hasn’t worked correctly for a long time.
- There are no safety sensors.
- The door is heavily damaged.
- It no longer matches or complements the exterior of your home.
- It has been broken into or could be easily.
With a return on investment of over 90 percent, investing in a new garage door is always a smart decision, but you may have other financial considerations or reasons for not wanting to replace your entire garage door system. If you aren’t sure what to do, there are some factors that you can evaluate that might be helpful.
- How old is the garage door?
- How much repair does it need?
- What is the garage door’s overall condition?
- Is the garage door opener still in good condition?
- Is the garage door safe to use?
- How much money can be devoted to it right now?
- Is repair or replacement more cost effective?
Making decisions about garage door repair isn’t always easy, but you don’t have to make them alone. The garage door specialists at Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, Inc., are qualified to help you evaluate your current garage door and make the best recommendation for your budget and style of home. Contact us for more information.
The Importance of Properly Maintaining Commercial Garage Doors
Commercial garage doors are designed specifically to offer maximum security. Commonly made with steel, they are sturdier, stronger, and more secure than residential garage doors. Your commercial garage doors protect not only your property but also your livelihood. Your business couldn’t operate without some kind of commercial door whether it’s high speed or aluminum garage doors, rolling security gates, rolling steel garage doors, or man doors. Keeping them in safe working order protects you, your business, and your customers.
Commercial garage doors can experience problems and even create safety hazards when they are not taken care of properly. These are some common problems that commercial garage doors experience:
- Damaged or Broken Tracks – Gaps between the rollers and the tracks keep the door from operating evenly and closing completely.
- Electrical Issues – Failure of the door to open or close could be a problem with the power supply.
- Cable and Spring Damage – If torsion springs break, you won’t be able to open the door from a closed position and if it is open at the time, the door could fall dangerously.
- Damaged Panels – A damaged panel could pose a security risk.
- Wear and Tear on the Rollers – The rollers can experience heavy wear or if they aren’t regularly cleaned, it can be hard for them to operate smoothly.
Addressing these issues early through the use of a preventative maintenance program is key. Keeping your commercial garage doors in good working order is essential to:
- Keep Your Business Open – Unexpected closures drive customers away.
- Save Money – Fixing small problems before they lead to bigger ones can save you money.
- Protect You from Liability – A broken or malfunctioning door can be a danger to customers and employees.
- Protect Your Business – Make sure your business is protected against theft, burglary, or other crimes.
The biggest reason for performing commercial door maintenance is your peace of mind. The assurance that your property, employees, and customers are safe goes a long way toward making your business successful for the future. Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, Inc., offers a commercial garage door maintenance program that can help you find and fix problems before they progress. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.