The Importance of Proper Loading Dock Signage and Accessories
Loading docks are essential for keeping the nation’s freight networks running, but they also act as a potential source of illness and injury. Estimates indicate that thousands of accidents occur at loading docks each year; for every accident, there are many more “near misses” that could have easily led to an accident. Fortunately, adding proper loading dock signage and accessories is one of the most effective ways to make the dock a safer place to work.
How Loading Dock Signage and Accessories Make Loading Docks Safer
One reason that loading docks are so dangerous is that there are a lot of vehicles entering and exiting the space, making it likely that collisions or backovers occur. Signage that marks the flow of traffic can mitigate these risks. There should also be signage that specifies the speed limit and signs that define where loading and unloading areas begin and end. Traffic lights should be added to communicate to drivers when it’s safe to go or when a bay is open. They can also inform drivers when a bay is full or when the driver should stop.
Dock levelers and lifts should be available to assist with safely lowering freight. Loading dock doors should have dock seals and bumpers that prevent unwanted access to certain areas and keep precipitation outside so that it doesn’t create a slippery surface. Truck restraints are an invaluable accessory that keep trucks and other vehicles from leaving the dock during the loading or unloading process.
Tips for Ensuring the Effectiveness of Your Signage and Accessories
To ensure that your signage and accessories maximize your loading dock safety, it’s important to have any electrical or technical components installed by a qualified professional. A professional will utilize the proper installation procedures to make sure that the components work and function properly. You should also confirm that your accessories have sufficient weight limits for the trucks and equipment at your loading dock.
Improve Your Loading Dock Operations
Visit Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, Inc. today to purchase the signage and accessories you need to encourage loading dock safety.
7 Benefits of Retractable Screens
A screened porch can be a very comfortable and attractive living space. There are no rules dictating that porches have to be bare spaces with aluminum furniture. The addition of lights, outdoor carpeting, hot tubs, gas fireplaces, and even a TV set can turn your ordinary deck or patio into an oasis that your entire family will want to enjoy. The retractable screens that can create and define these spaces are cost-effective and attractive.
Retractable screens become an integral part of outdoor living by:
- Creating an outdoor living space – Retractable screens can essentially add another room onto your house and give you more space for relaxation and social gatherings.
- Protecting you from insects – Nothing can ruin your enjoyment of being outdoors more than having to shoo away mosquitoes, flies, and other uninvited pests.
- Adding value and curb appeal to your home – Everything you do to improve the amount of living space and the attractiveness of your home increases the value and makes it more appealing to potential buyers.
- Offering customizable options – Retractable screens are available in many different frame styles and colors and fabric or mesh options to perfectly match the style of your home.
- Being easy to use and maintain – There is no need to set up or take down your screen every time you want to use it. Simply extend it or retract it with the touch of a button. Your retractable screen will only need minimal if any cleaning.
- Shading and sheltering you from the elements – Retractable screens, shades, and awnings not only give you a place out of the sun, but they can noticeably reduce the need and costs for air conditioning during warmer months.
- Letting in light and fresh air – Retractable screen doors and retractable window screens can give you the ability to let the outdoors in and freshen your home without bugs and debris making their way inside your house.
Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, Inc. is your source for many different styles and options of retractable screen doors and window screens. Contact us today to schedule a service call or to receive a free estimate.
6 Garage Door Accessories You Need
Just when we thought our garage door systems couldn’t get any safer, any more automated, or any more sophisticated, leave it to the technology companies to prove us wrong. As every industry advances, the same is true of garage door accessories. Wireless technology is improving our safety and control of our garage door systems in unbelievable ways.
Depending on the model of garage door opener your home has, these are some of the must-have accessories that will streamline your life as never before.
- Exterior wireless keypad – If you can’t find your controller, you can enter the four-digit code into the keypad to open the garage door from the outside instead of going inside the house.
- Garage door monitor – If you’ve ever gone to bed and wondered if you forgot to close the garage door, your worries are over. This monitor can tell you the door’s status and allow you to close it from any location inside your house.
- Laser parking system – This system provides a guide so that you park your car in the perfect spot every time.
- Internet gateway – Using a Wi-Fi connection, you will be able to open and close your door from any location in the world. This comes in handy if you aren’t home and you need to let a delivery person or a repair technician have access to your garage or home. You can also use it to be certain that the door is closed when it should be.
- Battery backup system – This will allow you to use your garage door opener even if there is a power outage.
- Mini remote control – This garage door opener is small enough to carry in a pocket or a purse so you can always keep it with you when you are away from home.
Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors, Inc., is your premiere garage door company for all the latest garage door opener accessories. We employ only licensed, experienced, and highly trained garage door technicians to install the accessories you need to make your life easier. Visit our website or contact us today to learn more or to schedule an appointment.