A Guide to Buying a Garage Door Opener
If you need to purchase a new garage door opener because your current one is too old or broken for garage door opener repair Pittsburgh PA, there are a few things you should know. You have many options when shopping for a new garage door opener, so how do you know you are getting the right one? Here are a few features that the best garage door openers will have:
- Low Noise Levels: Garage doors are inherently noisy, which is why if you are sensitive to sound or have living spaces located directly above or adjacent to your garage, you’re going to want to invest in either a belt-drive, direct-drive, or screw-drive model door opener.
- Remote–Control Reliability: For those who live in densely populated areas, your garage door signal can become mixed with those of your neighbors’ garage door openers. The best way to combat this is to invest in a garage door opener that offers dual-frequency. What this feature does is automatically switch between two different frequencies to minimize the chance of interference from your neighbors.
- Rolling–Code Security Technology: As an added level of security and protection, rolling-code security technology selects a new, non-repeating access code from billions of possibilities every time you use your remote control. This technology prevents would-be burglars from figuring out your access code and it also prevents your neighbor’s remote from accidentally opening your garage door.
- Keypad or Touchpad for Remote Entry: This feature is standard with some models, but not all. If your unit doesn’t come standard with a keypad or touchpad, generally you can add it on.
- Battery Backup: During power outages, you won’t be able to use your garage door opener unless it is equipped with a battery backup option. This feature, which is typically only included on a few, higher-end models, allows you to keep using your garage door opener during power outages. A battery-backup door should still be equipped with a manual release that allows you to manually open and close your garage door by hand.
- Overhead Lights: Lights are a standard feature on all garage door openers. Specifically, look for lights that you can control independently of the door’s opening and closing.
There are plenty of options available when you need to replace your garage door opener. As with most garage door opener repairs in Pittsburgh PA, you shouldn’t attempt to make the repairs yourself. Hire professionals, like those from Thomas V. Giel Garage Doors to make the repairs or install replacements.